Homes in Spain and France
Nykredit International offers Danes and Scandinavians mortgage loans for financing of homes in France and Spain.
Want to buy a home abroad?
Buying a home abroad and moving away for a shorter or longer period of time is a major decision. Nykredit will help you make that decision and guide you in the right direction, and we will lend you money to finance the home of your dreams – the same way we finance residential property in Denmark.
We have a local presence and are ready to offer you information and advice about your new country. Based on your needs and requirements, we will explain your options and help you plan your financing, savings and investment. This way we can get a 360-degree view of your financial position.
Want to learn more?
Nykredit’s advisers are ready to assist you in Denmark, France and Spain. Use the contact form and we will contact you to answer any questions you may have about a buying a home or mortgaging residential property in France or Spain.
Follow the various phases of the loan process
Nykredit International Lending has offered our customers mortgage loans for buying a home or mortgaging residential property abroad since 2003. This has given us extensive experience with the processes applied in the markets in Spain and France where we are represented. Below you can read more about loan processes for buying a home or mortgaging residential property abroad.
Nykredit International will guide you through the entire process of buying a home in France or in Spain. Optimally, the entire process will take about 45-60 days from start to finish.
1. Loan certificate: The loan certificate will state how much you can pay for property abroa. Contact us for a loan certificate.
2. House hunting: Go house hunting with the help of local estate agents or large Danish estate agents. We can refer you to estate agents abroad.
3. Purchase agreement: The purchase agreement is signed before a notary or at the estate agent. Usually, you will need to deposit 10% of the agreed purchase price.
4. Loan offer: This is where the loan process with Nykredit begins. Before we can issue a loan offer, the foreign property must be valued by a local valuer appointed by Nykredit. See our loan terms or apply for a loan.
5. Acceptance: We must have received your acceptance of the loan offer not later than 10 trading days before you take possession of the property.
6. Payment: The loan will be disbursed eight business days before you take possession of the property. The proceeds will be made available upon execution of the transaction – often via a notary.
7. Completion: The notary will prepare the loan documents and ensure that you sign all documents required for completion.
Things to note:
In France: Because of existing consumer protection rules, you cannot accept a loan offer until 12 days from the date it was issued. Once you have accepted the offer, it must be sent to Nykredit in Copenhagen.
In Spain: Before you can buy a property, you will need a NIE number (Numéro de Indentificatión de Extranjeros). You can get your NIE number at the Spanish Embassy or the local police station. We have drawn up a check list of factors you need to be aware of when you buy property in Spain. See the list here.
Renovation, conversion or investment? There may be many reasons for mortgaging your property abroad. Traditionally, the majority of Spanish and French banks do not offer their customers to mortgage their home equity. Nykredit International is ready to help you. On average, the process takes 45-60 days from start to finish.
1. Credit assessment: A credit assessment will tell us how much you can borrow. Once the assessment is ready, we will determine the loan type and the term of the loan together based on your needs.
2. Loan offer: The property value is determined by a local valuer appointed by Nykredit. Based on the value, we will prepare a loan offer for you.
3. Acceptance: Once you have accepted the loan offer, please send it to Nykredit International Lending in Copenhagen.
4. Signature: The local notary will arrange for the relevant documents. You can sign them in person at the notary’s office or by way of a power of attorney, which must be legalised at the French/Spanish consulate in Copenhagen or at the local court registry.
5. Loan disbursement: The loan will be disbursed once the documents have been signed.
Things to note in France:
Because of existing consumer protection rules, you cannot accept a loan offer until 12 days from the date it was issued. Once you have accepted the offer, it must be sent to Nykredit in Copenhagen.
What can we offer?
Nykredit International Lending can offer you loans that meet your needs and requirements. Whether you have found the home of your dreams abroad or are travelling south to search for it, we will guide you along the way.
Moving abroad is a big decision no matter if it is for a short or a longer period of time, and there are many things to sort out when you uproot and move to a country outside of Denmark.
Nykredit International Lending has a team of advisers and specialists dedicated to serving Danish customers living abroad, and you can safely turn to us for guidance and advice if you live outside of Denmark.